The application process consists of three steps:
(1) Complete the application form.
(2) Submit a musical or comedic video performance for critical review. Applicant's face must be visible for at least half of the total performance.
(3) Secure a letter of recommendation from an influential professional in your life (teacher, mentor, coach).
The application can be submitted electronically or sent by mail. Please submit all (3) three parts of the application in one submission.
Criteria and Application Guidelines
(1) Complete the application form in its entirety, carefully answering all questions.
(2) Submit a musical or comedic video performance (CD or YouTube), representing your talents with an original or covered piece of music/comedy. Please submit an entire song or piece of music/comedy (3-4 minutes in length). Music selection may be instrumental, with or without vocals, and either solo performed or with a single accompaniment. Comedic selection may be solo or with a single partner; if more than one performer appears in the video, please indicate which one is applying for consideration.
(3) Submit a letter of recommendation from an influential professional in your life, such as a teacher, mentor or coach.
(4) Application, music and/or comedic video performance and letter of recommendation can be submitted electronically or sent by mail. The scholarship committee asks that you please submit all (3) three parts of the application together. (See application for details)
(5) Deadline for submission of application, musical and/or comedic video performance and letter of recommendation is May 31, 2017. Applicants will receive an acknowledgement of entry, and a one-time notification if additional information is needed.
(6) Note: This is a solo competition for the purpose of awarding individual college scholarships. Applicant may choose to have an accompaniment for their performance, but the award is only distributed to the applicant. The scholarship committee encourages that the primary focus be on the applicant and his/her performance.
(7) The Brett Anderson Scholarship committee will award a $5000.00 college scholarship for first place, and cash awards for the finalists whose performances are judged to have finished second, third, fourth and fifth place.
(8) Scholarhip awards will be paid directly to the recipients, after the final judging takes place, on or before August 1, 2017. Finalists finishing first, second, third, fourth and fifth place will be notified by phone or e-mail and their award will be mailed by August 1, 2017.
Once the application package has been submitted for review, the applicant will receive an acknowledgement stating that all (3) three parts have been accepted. From the collection of performances, (5) five applicants will be chosen as finalists for The Brett Anderson Memorial Scholarship. The applicant whose performance is deemed the best of the (5) five entries will receive a scholarship in the amount of $5000.00. The remaining (4) four finalists will receive cash awards, recognizing the accomplishment of being chosen as finalists.
No information collected in the application process for this scholarship will be shared in any way with any other parties.